Re: [idn] IDNA text presentation (was Document Status?)

Soobok,

This note demonstrates an almost-astonishing level of confusion
and misinformation.  I don't know whether to respond to it or to
assume that, having run out of technical arguments, you have
decided to resort to innuendo, conspiracy theories, and ad
hominum attacks and just start ignoring all traffic from you.

Some highlights for latecomers...

* This WG was originated as an IETF effort.  The charter was
constructed by people who are still active in the WG, most of
whom did not (and do not) work for organizations with a strong
commercial interest in IDN issues.  And it predates MINC by some
time.

* My recollection of the early months of MINC was that
registries and academic institutions were perhaps
overrepresented, but that interests with particular commercial
plans that they expected to push into the IETF were not.

* While I have often been unhappy with the WG and its processes
and conclusions, I have seen no evidence of dominance by
commercial IDN technology interests.  Certainly people with
those interests have participated --we would be in bad trouble
and out of touch with reality with they did not-- but I don't
believe their interests have been dominant at any stage.  It is
interesting to note that few, or none, of the authors of the
important documents come from such companies.

* I don't have any idea what you are talking about when you
describe Jefsey as a "regular @LARGE member".  We are all here
as individual experts.  Jefsey brings an historical perspective
that is different from that of most IETF participants (and that
is, I believe, factually wrong in many important respects).  I
believe that all such perspectives are useful.  But he is coming
in quite late to these discussions and I don't believe he has
yet raised an issue that was not raised by someone when the
documents were still under development.

* I can barely parse your paragraph about ISI, who "paid for"
the Internet, etc., but, to the extent to which I understand it,
I think it is largely incorrect as well.

I could go on, but I think it would be pointless.  Let's focus
on the issues and stop constructing theories about where things
have come from as a substitute for that focus.   Such theories
are, especially at this stage in the process, fairly useless
even if
they are correct.  And yours, in the note below, do not appear
to be correct.

Fortunately, we are in agreement about your last paragraph.

regards,
        john

--On Thursday, 05 September, 2002 01:52 +0900 Soobok Lee