Re: [idn] Document Status?

on 9/3/2002 10:46 PM Dave Crocker wrote:

> You should worry about the fact that after 10 years, it still does not
> have a particularly major position in Internet mail.

Oh please, that's more of a reflection on deploying features into a
hop-by-hop network than anything. Cripes, ~everything takes a decade to
widely deploy with SMTP. Meanwhile, you are blatantly ignoring the other
side of the coin, which is that protocols like FTP and HTTP had a null
deployment window simply because they did not require encoding (FTP could
ignore it, and HTTP could go straight to binary).

> the real question is the basis for YOUR issues.

My position has been consistent. Regardless, this thread is about your
claim that IDNA is "the same as MIME" which is patently false. They have
different usage models and different architectures. Such a comparison is
useful to the hoi polloi but it is a dead-end as any sort of engineering
discussion point.