Re: [idn] IDN WG Last Call on two major changes to Stringprep

I dont quite understand why we need to have 3.
Isnt 3 a subset of 2?
Also

-----
2) If a string contains any Right-to-Left character (defined as
belonging to Unicode bidirectional categories "R" and "AL"), the string
MUST NOT contain any Left-to-Right character (defined as belonging to
Unicode bidirectional category "L").

3)  If a string contains any Right-to-Left character (as defined above),
a Right-to-Left character MUST be the first character of the string, and
a Right-to-Left character MUST be the last character of the string.
-----

Also this will mean that there cannot be a mixture between RTL and LTR
characters.  While I am not familiar with Arabic, I sure have seen English
words mixed with Arabic in phrases, albeit rare.  I didnt see much
discussion on the list before on bidi issues, but I did see an example used:

> Assume there were two labels inside the DNS, one reading ABCdef
> and the other reading defABC, and both would be displayed
> CBAdef. Who would consider that usable for the DNS?

Why would both be displayed the same?  Shouldn't defABC be displayed as
defCBA?  Given the context of a domain name within a DNS.

Furthermore, the section for bidi in Nameprep should be updated to specify
that it is meant to say within a label there cannot be both RTL and LTR
characters (eventhough it is mentioned early in the doc that Nameprep deals
with labels), because in Stringprep that wasnt clear and also a given
"string" can be a "part" of a label, so there could be two "strings", one
containing LTR one RTL in the same label.

Edmon