[idn] Re: Is space allowed in a hostname?

John C Klensin <klensin at jck dot com> wrote:

> But, is it worth revisiting the decision?   Much as I am
> concerned about the potential for damage to the Internet
> resulting from putting this stuff into the DNS, I haven't seen a
> lot of justification for going around this particular loop
> again.  I would feel more positive about doing so had matching
> and mapping issues with pairs of characters not come up before,
> but they have and people who didn't read themselves in have to
> bear some of the blame.

 to which Simon Josefsson <simon plus idn at josefsson dot org> replied:

> I agree, the current solution is not well understood, and there seems
> to be no time to revisit all issues and wait for people to understand
> the consequences.

This must be a new sense of the phrase "I agree" which I was previously
unaware of.

John's point was that the NKFC topic had already been discussed and
decisions made, and that bringing those people up to speed who had not
been part of the original discussions would be unlikely to shed new
light on the situation, but would simply cause old issues and questions
to be needlessly replayed.

This is very different from saying that the decisions were made without
sufficient input or knowledge, and that people are being kept in the
dark because of an inflexible and overly ambitious WG schedule.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California