Re: [idn] Is space allowed in a hostname?

Dan Oscarsson <Dan dot Oscarsson at trab dot se> wrote:

> While NFKC may be a good idea for matching names, it is not a good
> idea for normalised form of a name. NFKC removes duplicate forms of
> single characters (like wide A and circled A) which is good. But it
> also replaces code points representing many characters by many
> characters. In some cases that may be well (makes no semantic
> difference) but in others the resulting name is not the same (for
> example: superscript 2 (U+00B2) is replaced by character 2 (U+0032)).

Does the semantic distinction between 2 and ² really need to be
preserved in domain names?  Suppose you have a company called Foo²
("foo-squared").  How much damage is caused if your Web site can be
accessed not only through www.foo².com but also through www.foo2.com?

Can it really be possible that this whole NFKC issue was not adequately
considered and we need to stop everything to revisit it?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California