Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

[missed the cc list, reposted]

on 6/10/2002 10:31 PM Dave Crocker said the following:

> At 09:03 PM 6/10/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
>
>>New RRs often need new domain name syntaxes, either for the owner
>>name, or for the RR data (although it's hard to imagine an RR data domain
>>name which isn't subsequently used for an owner name at some point).
>
> Please humor me a bit further.
>
> What RR has a domain name syntax that is different from the one used for
> the web and email references?

SRV specifically uses a different syntax

> What RR data has a domain name using a syntax that is different from the
> ones used for web and email references?

RP and SOA both use localpart which has a different syntax

> In other words, as I have asked before, please describe specific
> scenarios in which the same domain name is interpreted differently.

There is a difference between syntax and interpretation. I already
answered the interpretation part, which is that any eight-bit code value
will be interpreted differently by every application. Use DJB's Pi test to
see this for yourself if you don't believe me.

Now that I have answered your questions twice, perhaps you could answer
mine. What is the exact problem you foresee with allowing an application
to put whatever it needs into the RRs it uses?