Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam M. Costello" <idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord>
> I have no problem with that, but as long as you're willing to break
> things, why not segregate the non-ASCII requests using EDNS or a new
> class, so that things break in a predictable fashion rather than getting
> randomly misinterpreted?

This is a misleading statement that you are making.  non-ASCII requests are
not "randomly misinterpreted", at least not in NeDNS, they get uniquely
resolved into the intended domain name that a non-aware user is typing in.
Adam, whether you like it or not, the reality is that non-ASCII request are
reaching registry name servers and whether you resolve these domain names or
not is the operator's choice.  Resolve it and resolve customer support
issues at the same time because existing users will be able to immediately
get to multilingual domain names.  Reject it and expect frustrated
registrants asking you why their name doesnt work yet.  At the end of the
day, it is the registry's choice, but I would advise that...reject at your
own peril... Just look at the support nightmare some registries have face by
introducing names that do not yet work for most people...
So, my point is that while it is all well that an IDNA standard will be
published, the real world will have to have some sort of a transitional
system that supports accurate resolution of non-ASCII requests so that
existing users can access these names.

Edmon