Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se> wrote:

> IDNA will change how things are handle.  Applications that before sent
> UTF-8 will now send ACE-names breaking what worked before.

Applications that started using proprietary IDN techniques before
anything was standardized knew the risk they were taking.

> The .Nu-bind and Microsoft servers will have to be changed so they can
> both recognise the old native UTF-8 names and the new ACE-names, for
> the same name.

You don't need to change the servers, you merely need to add the ACE
forms to the zone files.  One could write a perl script to do that.

> As things will break, why not standardise the usage of non-ASCII in
> domain names.

I have no problem with that, but as long as you're willing to break
things, why not segregate the non-ASCII requests using EDNS or a new
class, so that things break in a predictable fashion rather than getting
randomly misinterpreted?

AMC