Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

"Adam M. Costello" wrote:

> I suggest clarifying this by changing "require" to "depend on" in the
> two instances quoted above, and making similar changes in the last
> paragraph before 1.1:

Please delete the reference. It is non-contributory to implementation of
the specification and is somewhat argumentative. Cumulatively, it is a
distraction to the protocol.

> As far as I know, no use for the 8th bit has ever been standardized.

The standardized usage is local interpretation. Any usage is compliant.

> IDNA effectively says that the 8th bit is not to be used for
> internationalization, at least not for the time being.  It's still
> available for other purposes (like non-textual domain names).

These can still be supported, but they can't be run through the converter.
They have to be treated as exceptions. This is in DM-IDNS-01, now that it
is going to a strong data-typing model.