Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

--On 2002-05-27 17.08 +0200 Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se> wrote:

> As DNS allowes non-ASCII octet values in names, IDNA require
> changes in the infrastructure as IDNA prohibits non-ASCII
> octet values which in turn breaks backward compatibility.

No, it doesn't prohibit non-ASCII in DNS. It only say that labels which
pass ToUnicode function are legal IDN names and that other labels which
start with the ACE prefix SHOULD be avoided.

It is very explicitly stated this way so (a) IDN version 2 (whoever dare to
talk about it) can use a different ACE prefix and (b) some different binary
encoding of whatever charset can be used in labels.

IDNA does NOT change the definition of DNS labels. It only says that labels
with a specific prefix are said to be "IDN labels".

   paf