Re: [idn] meeting in Yokohama

--On Friday, 17 May, 2002 08:47 +0800 xiaodong lee
<lee@cnnic.net.cn> wrote:

> I think it is necessary to meet each other, coz there maybe
> some other things to be decided in face to face meeting for so
> many  active persons in IDN WG, e.g. next step for IDN.
> And with that, we should absorb more people to complete the
> idn-admin which is the great job.

For whatever it is worth, and with the understanding that I'm
speaking only for myself, I'd suggest a different model.  We
should finish the small amount of work that is clearly on IDN's
agenda and shut it down.  The WG has just dragged on too long
and accumulated too much baggage and debris.  Then, if you (or
others) have other agenda items (I know I do), it would be good
write the ideas down in the form of a proposal for a BOF or a
draft charter for another WG.  In other words, shutting IDN down
doesn't terminate all of the work that will now have to be done
with these names, including examining how they fit into
applications and how selected applications protocols should be
extended or modified.  That work is important and should be done
somewhere.  But there are few, if any, advantages of trying to
fit it into the IDN WG and we have all observed the
disadvantages of trying to do so.

regards,
    john