Re: [idn] Editorial comments on stringprep

I don't think it matters whether Unicode has ever expressed any
preference for lowercasing versus uppercasing.  What matters is that
Unicode defines a case folding algorithm that happens to use lower
case, and Stringprep simply uses it.  Although Unicode defines both
lowercasing and uppercasing operations, the only case folding operation
it defines uses lower case, so we really have no choice unless we want
to define our own case folding algorithm (which we don't).

(The case folding operation is designed for doing case-insensitive
comparisons.  The lowercasing operation is not.)

AMC