Re: [idn] Editorial comments on stringprep

--On 2002-05-04 10.02 +0200 Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com> wrote:

> Hmm - I don't recall if Patrik has some additional arguments for why
> lowercase is better in his plenary presentation in Minneapolis.

Historically, Unicode Consortium has always stated that mapping to
lowercase were more consistent and better than mapping to uppercase. At
least for Unicode before version 2. Don't remember any exact reasons, but
we can dig it up if you want us to.

There are also a number of codepoints which are lowercase which doesn't
have uppercase versions.

Last, some codepoints (like the german sharp-s, ß) turns to "SS" in
uppercase, and my guess is (with my limited knowledge of German, only 2
years of studies) that one when comparing don't want that similarities.

Anyway, my point is that previously UTC has always recommended mapping to
lowercase, and people seems to be happy with it.

And, personally, I rather see bq-asdqwe123 than BQ-ASDQWE the few times I
hope I see a domain name used in protocols natively in its ACE encoding.

    paf