Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

"J. William Semich" <bill@mail.nic.nu> wrote:

> This lookup, using the HTML spec "alings%E5s.com.nu", works fine
> for me using IE - the system supports the html encoding just as it
> supports UTF-8, ACE or ISO-8859-X.

Okay, then w3m is failing for the same reason that netscape and mozilla
are failing: my resolver refuses to resolve names with non-LDH labels,
even if I put "options no-check-names" in /etc/resolv.conf.

"J. William Semich" <bill@mail.nic.nu> wrote:

> try the links in various encodings on these pages ....
>
> http://www.worldnames.net/pages/demo.cfm

Same story.  My resolver refuses to return the address.

Curiously, my three browsers apparently try to do three different
lookups.  All three display the Shift-JIS text correctly, but for the
first link, netscape 4.x does a lookup on епо©╫Й.nu, mozilla does a
lookup on %e7%99%bb%e9%8c%b2%e6%89%80.nu, and w3m does a lookup on
%93o%98^%8F%8A.nu.  I haven't checked, but I'm guessing that netscape
4.x converts the host name to euc-jp, mozilla converts it to UTF-8 and
then %-escapes it, and w3m leaves it as shift_jis but then %-escapes it.

AMC