Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

Adam M. Costello wrote:

>> So now IDN is a larger scope than we expected, not just browser
>> software needs to upgrade, even html editor like Dreamweaver, etc
>> needs to upgrade...
>
>It should not be surprising that any software that deals with domain
>names as such (as opposed to text in general) might need to be upgraded
>in order to allow characters in domain names that used to be forbidden.

It is the IETF hacker talking again. The common man do not think
non-ASCII
letters are forbidden.

In general you can all expect when soon non-ASCII domain names are
officially
allowed, there will be lots of places where people will enter names
using non-ASCII. They will expect them to be allowed in HTML documents
in
href field and in img src field. It does not matter that some have
decided
to restrict the definition of "URL" to ASCII, people will and already
do,
expect non-ASCII to be allowed in both host and path part of URL, in
native
character set without ACE or %-encoding!! Especially as it works in many
places
already today.

It is important that existing RFCs like the one for the URL, imediately
be
updated to allow non-ASCII letters. And do not use the IETF hacker
language
and call it IRI, for the common man it will be a URL and URI.
People will not ACE encode host names in URLs, people will not
%-encode paths in URLs. They will do like they do today: use native
character
set of the HTML document. Ignoring reality does not work.

   Dan