Re: [idn] DNS is just one of many protocols that use domain names

Hi Adam,

Your argument seems to be a bit odd...

From: "Adam M. Costello" <idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord>
> You are both focusing too much on DNS.  DNS is just one of many
> protocols that carries domain names.

So imagine you are teaching a kid to play soccer, and he totally missed a
kick... What you just said is the same as telling him, you are focusing too
much on the ball, there are many other players in your team, and there are
the opponents as well, you need to look at them or you wont be able to kick
the ball!

Of course we understand that there is a big implication, all the more reason
to focus on DNS and make it right first.  Then we can consider the other
protocols.  Just like in my example, you need to teach the kid how to kick
the ball right before you teach him strategies of the game.

> > Cause now we are saying that (for the following example imagine,
> > xx--ace = a multilingual label <ML>)
> > - xx--ace is NOT really xx--ace as you see it, but it really is <ML>
> > - OR <ML> is the same as xx--ace
> > Either way, it means that we have fundamentally changed the concept of
> > a "unique" DNS name.
>
> It's not a fundamental change.  Even now, foo and Foo and FOO are
> equivalent labels, even though they are not identical strings.  Software
> needs to be slightly clever when comparing labels for equivalence.

Again this is quite a stretch in your argument.  I am fairly confident that
there will be no dispute in saying that foo=FOO and xx--ace=<ML> is a
totally different concept!  If you think that xx--ace=<ML> is not
fundamentally changing the concept of name matching in DNS, then what is the
difference of saying "dog"=<DOGinCHINESE> is equivalent?!  This is a very
dangerous road you are taking.

> > So what do you tell the customer they got?  An ASCII String? or a
> > Multilingual Domain name?  Or do you say its a Buy one Get one Free?!
>
> I'm sure registrars will put all sorts of marketing spin on it, but I'd
> say you got one domain name which can be represented by a variety of
> strings, some of which are ASCII-only and some of which aren't.

So you are effectively endorsing the buy one get one free approach...

Edmon