[idn] Is ACE really "IDN"?

I guess the fundamental question is whether ACE is really "IDN"?
Is not ACE just an ugly mask slapped on to the DNS to allow clients to fake
out the user in that they are getting a multilingual domain name, but in
fact, all they got from the DNS operators is a string of uninteligible ASCII
characters?
Also remember that with the introduction of ACE, we are effectively creating
an "alternative system" to the DNS!
Cause now we are saying that (for the following example imagine, xx--ace = a
multilingual label <ML>)
- xx--ace is NOT really xx--ace as you see it, but it really is <ML>
- OR <ML> is the same as xx--ace
Either way, it means that we have fundamentally changed the concept of a
"unique" DNS name.
All the while risking that the solution is not even solving the IDN problem.
So what do you tell the customer they got?  An ASCII String? or a
Multilingual Domain name?  Or do you say its a Buy one Get one Free?!

Here is my thought: ACE is an easier route for server operators (transport),
and therefore is a good intermediary solution towards IDN for servers; Just
use 8-bit is an easier route for users and client apps (display), and
therefore is a good intermediary solution towards IDN for clients.  Why cant
we go both routes and layout a roadmap for an eventual convergence with a
protocol change that utilizes 8bit data?

Edmon