Re: [idn] WG last call summary

On Mar 19, 2002, 03:45 (-0000) D. J. Bernstein <djb@cr.yp.to> wrote:

> Putting UTF-8 into email headers right now would trigger a serious
> Sendmail bug, so of course I don't encourage anyone to do that.

Putting UTF-8 into the mail header is against the mail protocol, and you
know that. Any bug in sendmail is irrelevant. If your want to change the
mail standard, write a draft. That draft will NOT be processed in the IDN
group.

> However, the Sendmail bug should be fixed as soon as possible. Do you
> disagree with this?

That discussion should be taken with those working on sendmail, not any
IETF group. Those who are dissatisfied wiht sendmail use something else.

> Furthermore, the IETF specifications that allow 7-bit software should be
> fixed as soon as possible. Do you disagree with this?

Write a draft.

> Or do you want these bugs to continue to plague programmers in 10 years?
> 20 years? 50 years?

IETF has nothing to do with bugs in programs, just bugs in protocols. You
know that. And how long will you plague us with your complaints about
sendmail? 10 years? 20 years? -- Stick to what is relevant!

Mats

Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>