Re: [idn] WG last call summary

Dave Crocker writes:
> I believe the current count of such modules is perhaps 100 million.

If you're frightened of the upgrade in http://cr.yp.to/proto/idnc3.html,
you should be terrified of the much larger upgrade in IDNA---even if we
don't count the IDNA-USERNAME upgrade, the IDNA-to-UTF-8 upgrade, etc.

Of course, you're also ignoring the fact that most of the IDNC3 work is
being done anyway. Many modules already work with UTF-8, and new UTF-8
support is appearing all the time.

> By the time they are, there will be another 100 million to upgrade.

Wrong. IDNC3, just like RFC 2277, requires UTF-8 support in everything.
The bulk of the work is fixing old stuff, not new stuff.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago