Re: [idn] IDNA interoperability failures, once again

"Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:

> The decoded output for a Message-ID header field MUST NEVER be
> presented, since it would be a functionally different identifier
> whenever it was used.  For example, searching Google or an IMAP
> server for all of the messages associated with the Message-ID of
> nn@zz--gobbledygook is completely different than searching for a
> Message-ID of nn@<IDN>.

I might also search for a From: field, or a To: field.  In fact, I can
search Google for pretty much anything.  So therefore all ACE labels
MUST NEVER be decoded.  Wonderful.

> you have zero authority to impose such behavior on anybody or
> anything.

Right, as IDNA section 1 says, "This document does not require any
applications to conform to IDNA..."

I think this thread has probably outlasted its usefulness, but you are
welcome to have the last word.

AMC