Re: [idn] Re: Unicode and Security

DougEwell2@cs.com writes:
> Even the "merging" part wouldn't work.

Merging is certainly painful. It becomes incredibly painful if you
insist, as the IDNA proponents do, on merging lowercase characters with
uppercase characters.

On the other hand, _selection_ is easy. We can point to a fairly large
set of useful characters whose glyphs can be readily distinguished. If
we prohibit other characters, rather than trying to map them to the
selected set, then we won't have the merging problems.

Of course, eliminating those other characters from Unicode itself would
be foolish. The characters are useful in many other applications.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago