Re: Inputting mixed SC/TC (Re: [idn] A question...)

John C Klensin writes:
> already reached consensus

These claims of consensus are fraudulent. There have always been strong
objections from many regular group participants. We believe that the
current proposals are extremely harmful and should not be deployed. We
are speaking on behalf of a huge number of users.

Even more damning than the number of objections is the superficial way
in which the objections are treated. For example:

   * When we point out in detail how the proposed deployment plan
     creates serious interoperability problems---mail will bounce; web
     pages will fail to load---we're told that users should stop using
     pipes, copy-and-paste, and other program-linking mechanisms.

   * When two hundred users complain about the handling of Chinese,
     they're told that their objections ``don't count,'' and that they
     should learn to type _exactly_ what they see, no matter how painful
     that might be.

   * When I ask why the same principle doesn't apply to the uppercase
     issue, saving implementors a huge amount of case-conversion effort,
     my question is simply ignored.

The idea that objections should be ignored because ``we have to do
something'' is contrary to common sense, contrary to IETF procedures,
and contrary to United States antitrust law.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago