RE: [idn] Comments on IDNA/stringprep/nameprep

At 2:54 PM +0100 2/9/02, Kent Karlsson wrote:
>I'm not sure why the document was split into "stringprep" and a
>"profile".

The stringprep document says so explicity:

Other protocols can create profiles of these rules; these profiles
will allow users to enter internationalized text strings in
applications and have the highest chance of getting the content of
the strings correct.

Note the first two words. Stringprep is already being used by other
protocols that have nothing to do with DNS, such as iSCSI names.

>   At least I would find a "hostnameprep" with deltas
>for similar domain name preps a much more manageable approach.

But would make all other string preparation documents much harder to read.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium