Re: [idn] A question...

In a message dated 2002-02-08 12:15:08 Pacific Standard Time,
rosenne@qsm.co.il writes:

>>> VERBATIM means "word for word". LITERATIM is "letter by letter". This
>>> is precisely the essence of the problem - you hear a domain name, and
>>> spell it exactly as you hear it, and it should be found.
>>
>> www.color.com and www.colour.com are not ever going to match.
>
> So we don't mean VERBATIM.

Right, OK, I made a mistake.  So let's try again and see if I can avoid
obscuring the point this time:

"The same, exact thing will happen with Han logographs.  If # and & are TC
and SC characters (respectively) that have the same meaning, and the user
types # when he should have typed & (or vice versa), under the proposed IDN
system the name will not match.  The user will get a 404, mutter "aw,
shucks," and type it again, LITERATIM, and the page will appear.  And the
user will learn that it is important to type the EXACT characters that appear
on the business card, or billboard, or wherever the name came from."

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 (address will soon change to dewell at adelphia dot net)