Re: [idn] A question...

jw-lin@yahoo.com.tw wrote:

> According the drafts, my school should register 8 domain names to let
> user to access my school without worrying if he or she keys in right
> character.
>
> and under each domain, we have to create 4 sub-domains for my
> institite
>
> and under each of 8*4=32 sub-domains, create 4 records for a web
> server
>
> And finally, i have to set all 8*4*4=128 domain names at the
> configuration files...

I don't think any of the drafts recommend this.  In fact, I think there
are plans to add language to the IDNA draft warning registrars about the
pitfalls of registering any and all names without any policies.

For example, although there may be 8 different ways to represent
your school name, there are probably only two ways that are most
common/convenient (call them X and Y), and the other six ways are much
less common/convenient.  Suppose the registrar prohibited anyone from
registering those six ways?

Furthermore, while there may be 4 ways to represent your institute,
there is probably one of them that is most common/convenient when used
with X, and one of them that is most common/convenient when used with Y.
And so on, for the remaining labels.

If the registrars imposed sensible prohibitions, your 128 names could
be reduced down to 2.  The other 126 would be prohibited by the
registrars, so you wouldn't need to worry about getting spoofed.  Users
who accidentally type one of the non-existent 126 ways might get a
host-not-found error, but that should be fairly rare (because those 126
ways were deliberately chosen to be the less common/convenient ways),
and enhanced application software that knows some of the registrars'
policies could auto-generate suggestions for other names more likely to
be in the DNS.

AMC