Re: [idn] Internet Draft - Phased Implementation for IDNA

Dear Kenny Huang,

Good work !

Now we have a foundation to re-start discussion on this issue.
I'd like to comment on a few points. See below,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:30:02PM +0800, Kenny Huang wrote:
> (snip)
> Phased Implementation for Internationalized Domain Names in Applications
> (snip)

> 3.2 Visual difficulty
>
> Some code points are visually impossible to differentiate and
> could lead to many user entry errors. In this case these
> code points can cause unpredictable results when queried.
> The issue of visual diffculty may exist in many scripts, but
> the impact of visual difficulty by different language groups
> should be particularly evaluated.

Though I am not so good at English, but I think "visual ambiguity" is
a more proper term.

> 3.3 Solutions incompleteness
>
> It is generally accepted that the IDNA solution does not solve the
> CDN problems that listed in Appendix A. Although the WG considered
> some possible solutions to the CDN problem, those solutions did not
> meet the IETF's requirements. Thus, this document proposes prohibiting
> the Han characters listed in Appendix B until a solution that is
> acceptable to the IETF can be found, or until it is clear that no
> such solution is possible.

In what condition, we can declare that "it is clear that no such
solution is possible" ? This may be too tough or too loose depending
upon understanding and attitude toward this issue.

> (snip)
> 5.2 Issues for prohibiting Han code points
>
> The Han code points are used in many countries and territories,such
> as Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore..,etc.
> Except Han code points, Kana is also used in Japan and Hangel is
> used in Korea.

Hangel -> Hangeul

> (snip)

My best regards