RE: [idn] Re: Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

Some clarifications:

> The problem of Traditional Chinese & Simplified Chinese cannot be
> expressed as a bicameral (upper/lower case) problem. To say it is
> similar to "A" and "a" is at best misleading. TC/SC is not a simple 1 to
> 1 mapping.

1-1 TC/SC mapping is exact the same as "A" to "a" mapping from
computing algorithm point of view.  Your question should point to the
source of table, not to the computational algorithm.

CDN requirement has been proposed. Read the CDN requirement,
CDN is not Chinese literature. It is an identifier.  Sophisticated language
issue should be discussed in the upper layers.

> Some subset of TC/SC problem can be solved using using this method,
> however unreliable it is. But such solution have to take into
> consideration of conflicting languages (such as Japanese & Korean) and
> thus striping it down to a even smaller subset. In a JET meeting whereby
> we do this investigation, this would bring the simple 2400+ TC/SC pairs,
> down to around 300+ TC/SC pairs. (And note, (U+81FA, U+53F0) pairs, an
> commonly used characters since it represent "tai" in "taiwan" is not
> part of the sub-subset). One would therefore question the usefulness of
> such partial solution.

I was chairing the JET meeting. The investigation is about
1986 pairs (2237 pairs - 251 pairs which overlapping with Japanese
character).

> And when there is only one obvious solution, it does not mean the
> obvious solution is the right one. As Dave points out, "When all you
> have is a hammer, everything look like a nail".
>
> The IDN WG is not absolute. It is a beginning of a journey to do I18N in
> IETF and the Internet, one that can bring the Internet closer to the
> world; OR it can be a end to any further attempts to do I18N in IETF.
> Neither is it the only forum whereby all solutions to I18N is to be
> conducted. Not all solutions are technical in nature, and even if it is,
> not all problems can be solve within IETF.
> -James Seng

Unfortunately, IDN deployment is not a reversible process if things
went wrong. If you do think the obvious solution is not the right one,
then we'd better consider the consequences from adopting the solution.
Trying to do it halfway is worse than not doing it at all.

Kenny Huang
Secretariat, JET