RE: [idn] Fw: Cyrillics - Latin

> Very good point. I think we did have that justification in the
> distant past, but it was lost along the way. We will add it after the
> WG last call. The reason is that the current DNS has case-insensitive
> matching for current names; if we did not do that for the additional
> characters being added, you would get great user confusion. For
> example, "Abc" matches "abc", but "<Capital-A-with-accent>bc" would
> not match "<lowercase-a-with-accent>bc".
>
> >Or, in other words,
> >
> >     Are there any reason we can't remove case mapping from
> >     our spec?  (Other than something like "because it is a
> >     natural English convention..." :-)
>
> Yes, there is a good reason: removing the table would introduce confusion.

But we already know that there may be some confusion at some point, as you
acknowledge a couple days ago, if some later revision of Unicode introduces
new characters with case distinctions (guaranteed for 3.2 IIRC). So this
really needs to be pointed out, so that people realize that it may break at
any time depending on the applications they use. (The optimistic in me
thinks that applications will strive to offer timely updates in order to
offer a better user experience w/o the confusion.)

YA