Re: [idn] MUST/SHOULD vs. must/should

In a message dated 2002-01-31 13:45:46 Pacific Standard Time,
idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord writes:

> Am I the only one who prefers must/should/etc. over MUST/SHOULD/etc?  If
> there is anyone else, please speak up now.

I never thought it made any difference whether "must" was capitalized; it
still means "must" either way.  Furthermore, I find all-capitalization of
ordinary words annoying, sort of like those computer magazines of the '80s
like COMPUTE! that always reminded you to "SAVE a copy before you RUN it."

OTOH, one of the software QA guys at my work thinks capitalizing "MUST" is a
terrific idea, because it draws your eye to the actual requirements (as
opposed to non-normative background information).  So maybe he knows
something I don't.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California