Re: [idn] Determining equivalence in Unicode DNS names

>My point was that when talking about "equal", in DNS we compare
>labels one by one, without looking at context, i.e. neighboring
>labels. So, if "a" and "b" are the same, then both a.se and
>b.se are same and a.com and b.com are the same.
>
>You show an example where "a" and "b" are different (from DNS
>matching point of view) but the domain name holder of a.com
>and b.com want them to resolve to the same IP-address.
>
>Which of course is ok.

Then I'm afraid I don't see your objection to my original proposal, which
was *precisely* what you just said, namely: the DNS protocol doesn't
determine if two names are equal; let the domain name holder decide.

>The changes are very controlled, and no changes are made which have
>the impact you tell.

I wish. I have to sit through the meetings where the file system guys
debate how to handle each rule change, and its impact on forward and
backward interoperability.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org