From: "Stuart Cheshire" <cheshire@apple.com>
To: "Dave Crocker" <dhc@dcrocker.net>
Cc: <idn@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [idn] Determining equivalence in Unicode DNS names

>In other words, the task of IDN is entirely solvable,
>as long as we do not define the task to be too broad.

I can see how my statement could be misinterpreted, so please allow me
clarify.

I did not mean to say that IDN cannot succeed. I'm quite sure that IDN
can and will succeed.

What I meant to say is not solvable, is the task of defining a single
set
of Unicode equivalence rules that is appropriate in every culture in
every country around the world. It may simply be the case that under UK
trademark law the names Pépsi and Pepsi are deemed to be same, while
under French trademark law they are deemed to be quite different. (That
may be a terrible example; if so I apologize, and welcome a better
example of a case where different cultures have different rules of name
equivalence.)

Hence my question was whether DNAME might provide an answer, to free IDN
from the equivalence debate, by allowing equivalence to be determined
locally on a per-zone basis.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire@apple.com>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org