Re: [idn] Determining equivalence in Unicode DNS names

At 04:01 PM 1/14/2002 -0800, Stuart Cheshire wrote:
>What I meant to say is not solvable, is the task of defining a single set
>of Unicode equivalence rules that is appropriate in every culture in
>every country around the world.

Ahh, yes.  Thank you.

And indeed that is one of the reasons such a task is outside the scope of
this working group.

>Hence my question was whether DNAME might provide an answer, to free IDN
>from the equivalence debate, by allowing equivalence to be determined
>locally on a per-zone basis.

IDN, as a technical effort, ALREADY is free of the debate.

However it is easy to think otherwise:  The fact that some people persist
in conducting the debate on this mailing list is merely due to their
intense interest in the topic and their misunderstanding the scope of this
group.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464