Re: elmo-use-database?

Per B. Sederberg wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Ron Isaacson
> <Ron.Isaacson@morganstanley.com> wrote:
> > Per B.Sederberg wrote:

> >> How does it work in gnus to visit a server-side maildir folder, which
> >> you have populated with that server-side mairix call?  Not that it's
> >> ideal or anything, but could you mount that search folder locally with
> >> sshfs and point mairix.el at it?
> >
> > Or run a small dovecot instance to expose your search folder...
> >

> Yes, if you have the ability to install anything on that server, this
> would be even better and probably would be faster because imap in WL
> is wicked-fast.

You don't even really need to "install" it. Assuming there are no
policy restrictions, you can build it in your homedir and run it on a
non-priv port. Before I had good filesystem connectivity between the
different clients where I ran wl, I ran dovecot on the same server as
fetchmail, and used IMAP from all of the other clients.

Doing this on a large maildir tree is a bit annoying, as you have to
maintain a parallel directory structure using Dovecot's naming
convention. For example, Maildir/foo/bar/baz becomes
<mail_env>/.foo.bar.baz. If anyone wants, I have a simple perl script
to create and maintain this structure, with separate directories for
each folder but symlinks to the cur/new/tmp areas. It's actually nice
to do it this way, as dovecot drops a bunch of files in each folder's
directory, and if you keep the trees separate, you can easily blow
away the dovecot tree if you need to rebuild it (or stop using
dovecot) and not affect your maildir tree.

--
Ron Isaacson
Morgan Stanley