Re: elmo-use-database?

At Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:34:03 -0500,
Per B. Sederberg wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
> At Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:12:02 -0500,
> David Abrahams wrote:
> >

> > on Fri Dec 11 2009, Per B. Sederberg <psederberg-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I know it's a bit much for your specific desire, but I've been using
> > > offlineimap to download my All Mail folder from GMail, which I then
> > > index with mairix, and then search mairix from within WL.
> >
> > I had exactly that setup working here with Gnus.  It didn't seem to make
> > things any faster than it was using my company's IMAP server, and I had
> > to wait for offlineimap to sync up, and I was concerned about the cost
> > to my laptop's battery life.  Finally, I didn't find Mairix to be
> > super-useful...
> >

> Yes, that's the main problem with the setup.  I decided that I only
> needed to sync my All Mail every 15min, so that drastically cut down
> on the wasted battery.  Also, if you are willing to use the devel
> version of offlineimap there are a number of great features added in
> that allow you to only pay attention to a specified date range when
> syncing, which I've heard can greatly increase sync times (I don't use
> it yet.)
>
> > > Mairix has the ability to mairix-search-thread-this-article,
> >
> > ...but I never tried that particular function.  And checking its docs, I
> > never saw the optional "threads" argument to mairix-search before.  So
> > maybe I need to go back to trying mairix.
> >

> Yes, mairix-search-thread-this-article is pretty much the best search
> function available.  I use it all the time.

Okay, this is pretty great.  I have it working under Gnus with
nnmairix and a server-side search:

  ssh my.mail.server bin/update-mairixdb \; mairix

This populates a special Maildir folder on the server with symlinks to
the messages found in the index, and then visits that folder.
Brilliant!

Now, I'd like to do something similar with WL.  Of course I understand
that I can run mairix locally, but then I need to make sure my local
cache of the message archives are up-to-date.  Suppose I want to do
this all on the server?

> I think the emails come back as a virtual folder in WL.  I've been
> able to reply to emails in that folder just fine, but I've never paid
> attention to whether replying to an email in a virtual folder marks
> that email in your inbox as replied.  I don't care about this, but
> I've heard that this is a problem for others...

I care, as in I'd prefer that it worked, but it's not a big deal for me.

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing