Re: DHCP6 and RA,M=1,PIO,A=0

On Nov 20, 2008, at 7:19 PM, james woodyatt wrote:

Network managers who think it's important to be able to control the assignment of IPv6 interface addresses to physical interfaces often make the mistake of assuming that MAC addresses are fixed on hardware manufacturing lines and cannot be changed in user software.

I'm here to say that's a painfully stupid mistake.

Well...

So I use a Mac at work. When NAC first came out, my network managers asked me to change my MAC address to one they had chosen to identify the device as a Mac. That wasn't too hard on Jaguar or Tiger, whichever it was, for the fixed interface; for the wireless interface, it was impossible. And btw, on the fixed interface it would occasionally revert to the hardware address even though it had been changed in the configuration files.

I would be careful about painting people as stupid. There is a lot of paint in that can.