Re: some real life data

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Nathan Ward wrote:
 I think a better approach would be to prefer A over AAAA if the client
 only has teredo, instead of not querying AAAA at all. This way teredo is
 still used for names with AAAA only.

This is the way XP works afaik. If your IP indicates that you're over a tunneled IPv6 connection, IPv4 will be preferred over IPv6, but if there is no IPv4 (A), IPv6 (AAAA) will be used.

I find this quite reasonable and thus my question why this was changed in Vista.

My guess would be 1) broken DNS servers, load balancers, etc. causing timeouts (as documented in RFC4074), and 2) MS more clearly targeting Teredo as an overlay network rather than a transition tool, and overlay networks such as p2p systems have their own node discovery mechanisms.