RE: implications of 6to4 for v6coex

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:43:39 -0700, Christian Huitema

<huitema@windows.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Teredo relays should only originate packets to an IPv4 address if the

> communication was initiated from the IPv6 side. That's enough to build a

> stateful address filter in the relay, so it only accepts IPv4 packets if

> there was prior initiation from the IPv6 side. I don't know whether

> commercial implementations of Teredo actually implement this stateful

> filtering, but if they did that would go a long way towards alleviating

the

> ISP's fear.

At least those Teredo relay deployments I know of _do_ discard traffic from

IPv4 to IPv6 unless solicited by one native IPv6 node. That's the most

basic protection against blind spoofing Teredo clients.

However, if I understand James right, his concern is with the IPv6 to IPv4

direction, whereby a IPv6 ISP could steal the relaying capacity of another

IPv6 ISP. To address that, one must (simply?) discard packets toward

2001:0::/32 and coming from unauthorized IPv6 nodes (although this will

obviously cause a split Internet).

> Failing that, it is also possible to run the Teredo relay at an arbitrary

> port number, or even one that changes periodically.  That, too, would

make

> it very hard for "leeches" to steal the relay service by pointing to the

> IPv4 address of the relay.

It is my understanding that a Teredo relay must server traffic to/from the

*whole* IPv4 Internet. So I do not get this.

A Teredo relay can restrict which chunk of the native IPv6 Internet it

relays from/to, not which chunk of the IPv4 Internet.

> The remaining possibility for the "leeches" would be to set up a static

> IPv6 route for 2001::/32 towards the relay that they want to target. If

ISP

> are concerned with that, they can simply black-hole traffic to 2001::/32

at

> their border router. It will not hurt, since the internal hosts are

> supposed to use the internal relay.

Yes. Or at the relay itself - checking that the non-Teredo IPv6 address

belongs to the ISP.

--

Rémi Denis-Courmont