Re: implications of 6to4 for v6coex

On Sep 15, 2008, at 15:22, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Well, I can't speak for Teredo, but 6to4 was specifically conceived
as a way of bypassing recalcitrant ISPs unwilling to offer native
IPv6 service. So deprecating it would be exactly the wrong thing:
an ISP that doesn't like 6to4 packets should be incented to provide
IPv6 service.

Transitioning to IPv6 doesn't make 6to4 and Teredo go away.

Offering IPv6-only service isn't even sufficient to relieve providers of the requirement to deploy relays, because the return paths to 2002::/16 and 2001::/32 need to be made reliable for IPv6-only subscribers. The requirement to provide reliable 6to4 and Teredo relays will be with us until the happy day that the IPv4 specifications can be archived off in the Historic category. I expect the Heat Death Of The Universe to arrive before that happens.

We need to remove the technical obstacles that service providers say are preventing them from deploying relays for the exclusive use of their subscribers. Otherwise, we are in serious danger of splitting the ostensibly singular IPv6 public Internet into three separate functional autonomies: A) the Teredo internet, B) the 6to4 internet, and C) the native (and manually tunneled) internet. Is that what we want?

It would be very nice if an authoritative voice at one of the very large service providers currently resisting the deployment of relays would step up now and explain what are those technical obstacles that we must remove for them if IPv4-IPv6 coexistence to succeed. Perhaps, there are no real technical obstacles at all, and I've just been led to believe otherwise by mistake. If so, then it would be good to understand what are the non-technical obstacles currently holding up deployment, so we can make appropriate choices to prevent the split I describe above.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering