Re: v6-v4 transition scenarios, take 1

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
As an observation after writing this, I'm focusing pretty much only on client-server type applications because I've yet to see p2p or other _inter-domain_ applications that are business critical. Another reason may be that I don't know them in detail, and that will likely require application-specific transition scenarios, not just ALG extensions. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise...

VoIP in general and Skype in particular are rapidly becoming business critical for many people. Peer to peer downloading isn't "business" critical but you're sure going to hear from users if you break this. (Don't forget that web and mail doesn't sell 20 Mbps ADSL2 connections, that stuff works fine on 1 Mbps, many users buy faster links because of the peer to peer stuff, it's bad business for ISPs to break this.)

AFAIK, p2p protocols, at least downloading, are smart enough to work through a NAT box that doesn't support any ALG, UPNP, port redirection, etc. I have personal experience with this :-). So, does this require special casing in NAT64 techniques or are such approaches enough client-server -like?

1. ISP offers IPv6-only provisioning as a new service offering using
 translation or tunneling

Due to IPv4 exhaustion (public or private space), due to alleged O&M simplicity, an ISP prefers to provision a futuristic green field deployment or residential or small enterprises only with global v6 addresses. This requires customers to move voluntarily from old service

First rule of ISP operations: never, EVER make your users migrate to something new, this costs a fortune in support calls.

I would assume all of this only applies to new customers, addresses for existing customers won't disappear.

So, the ISP may do as they do in Finland: only provide support in a 0.39 EUR/min phone number. As a result, they're able to downsize their support departments. Think about the revenue opportunities! :-)

The text talks about both new customers, or old ones migrating to a new type of service voluntarily.

In addition, the ISP starts providing IPv6 service to the customers as a way to show the users this is actually "the good thing for the continued health of Internet".

Or they don't, because they are too busy keeping all the different instances of the same RFC 1918 addresses straight... That would be bad.

Sure.  Actually I added conditionals that take care of this in take 2.

The big question here is on whom the burden of the translation falls. If it's the job of the greenfield people, then it's easy because they can just get an IPv4 address (perhaps even just a port for each service on a shared address), publish the IPv4 address and set up a static mapping.

If on the other hand the IPv4 clients must arrange for their own translation, this means a generic IPv4-to-IPv6 NAT (NAT46), which is much tougher than the other way around.

Agree that this is an issue, but not probably in practise. Let me try to phrase it differently.. "I strongly encourage all my competitors to start providing their services as v6-only".

So I don't think there should be a big question about which approach is viable and which isn't.

4. Nearing 2015, ISP wants to ensure its users can reach all the
 services in Internet, and deploys a v4-to-v6 NAT

Is it a given that NAT is the appropriate option in this case?

Many protocols support proxies, where the name-to-address translation happens at the proxy so if the proxy supports IPv6, the client doesn't have to.

(I don't think it's a good idea to mention dates, though. It's only recently that people have stopped whining "you IETF guys said we'd be out of IPv6 addresses by 2005 and it didn't happen".)

Maybe I should have used s/NAT/translator/, that was certainly the intent. However, in practise given that the intent is to support weird v4 hosts and apps in "end-game" situation, it seems improbable that an app-specific proxying would be enough.

Wrt dates, I wanted to emphasize that this won't be happening any time soon.

I expect once the IPv6 ball gets rolling people will start turning off IPv4 surprisingly fast.

Personally I doubt it -- a lot. Or we have a different things in mind when we talk about "IPv6 ball gets rolling".

I wouldn't turn off v4 on any service I have association with until at least 90% and hopefully more than 99% of the user base (or potential user base) could reach it.

IPv4 exhaustion is not causing major problems for these applications as these already have a pretty good NAT traversal mechanisms and those mechanisms are likely to get better over time.

Many of the currently used NAT traversal techniques don't work well with multiple layers of NAT, and with more users behind an IP address it will be harder for users to open up ports to host incoming sessions. So I don't think this is necessarily true.

I guess you're referring to NAT traversal mechanisms such as uPNP, NAT-PMP etc. -- I don't count those as NAT traversal because they require modifications in NATs. Teredo and similar tunneling mechanisms which require no NAT modifications are the true traversal mechanisms.