Re: v6-v4 transition scenarios, take 1

On 2008-07-29 05:42, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 28 jul 2008, at 14:51, Pekka Savola wrote:
>
>> As an observation after writing this, I'm focusing pretty much only on
>> client-server type applications because I've yet to see p2p or other
>> _inter-domain_ applications that are business critical.  Another
>> reason may be that I don't know them in detail, and that will likely
>> require application-specific transition scenarios, not just ALG
>> extensions.  But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise...
>
> VoIP in general and Skype in particular are rapidly becoming business
> critical for many people. Peer to peer downloading isn't "business"
> critical but you're sure going to hear from users if you break this.
> (Don't forget that web and mail doesn't sell 20 Mbps ADSL2 connections,
> that stuff works fine on 1 Mbps, many users buy faster links because of
> the peer to peer stuff, it's bad business for ISPs to break this.)

FYI, there's at least one proposal in the oh-so-serious ITU discussion
of IPTV for a P2P based IPTV delivery mechanism. There are already
P2P based video on demand solutions in the wild. I don't think
you can assume that P2P is not of business interest.

My guess is that dual stack nodes in a mixed v4/v6 P2P network would
become hot spots, with the v4-only and v6-only nodes using them
as convertors. I'd expect P2P networks to be rather successful in
routing around connectivity gaps due to v4/v6.

    Brian