Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

Alain Durand writes:
Maybe I am alone on this, but I prefer to make the hacker try harder without
inviting them inside.
Eric,
The property of well known address is that, well, they are well known. So if
a vendor start to use fe80::1, I guess most vendors will use it and there is
little guesswork to be done.
Now, with service discovery, I would expect that as soon as the device is
configured the first time, some king of security will be put in place, if
only using a password. This can be done before the ISP connection is up. If
the user decide not to use a passwd or any other form of security, well,
this is a different issue.
I have seen this discovery being implemented already: simply try to
configure an Apple airport.

Alain
I fail to see the practical difference between these solutions. My main concern is that the majority of users out there are not using Apple type logic but Microsoft's version of logic. Therefore a known process or method is going to become necessary. Today this is done via known IP addresses per brand/model. What you are describing sounds more like finding an available hotspot via WiFi. If this is the consensus that the WG takes that is fine, I am just not sure it is the simplest solution to this requirement in all cases.
Eric