Re: v6ops-nat64-pb-statement-req: DNSSEC requirement

Thomas Narten escribió:
draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-pb-statement-req-00.txt says:

   R10: DNSSec support

   DNSSec support MUST NOT be prevented.
   o  R10.1: In particular, if an IPv6 node is initiating a
      communication with an IPv4 that is located behind a translator,
      the IPv6 initiator MUST be able to perform DNSSec verification of
      the DNS information of the IPv4 target. (strong consensus on this
      one).

   o  R10.2: In particular, if an IPv4 node is initiating a
      communication with an IPv6 that is located behind a translator,
      the IPv4 initiator MUST be able to perform DNSSec verification of
      the DNS information of the IPv4 target.  This may require the
      modification of the IPv4 node as well. (not clear if there
      consensus on this one)

Maybe I don't understand what the above means, but it seems to me to
be unworkable. I.e., If an IPv6 node requests an AAAA record for an
IPv4-only node, there won't be a AAAA record and it will need to be
synthesized. By definition, such a synthesized DNS RR won't be
verifiable via DNSSEC because it is in fact an unauthorized
fabrication.

What am I missing here?

if the verification is performed before the synthesis of the RR and there is a trsut relationship betwen the receiver and the node that has performed the verification and synthesis, this should do it. In particular, if everything happens at the end node, we are in business, right? (i.e. the v6 end node asks for the A RR, perfomrs the dnssec validation and then internally generates the v6 address)

it is not so trivial for the v4 case though (actually i think it is not possible for the v4 case, hence the question mark)

Regards, marcelo

Thomas