Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

On 7/22/08 1:11 AM, "EricLKlein@softhome.net" <EricLKlein@softhome.net>
wrote:

> Hemant Singh (shemant) writes:
>
>> I repeat myself. I am only discussing the case when the CPE Router is powered
>> up without connecting the router WAN interface to the SP.  This is also the
>> first time the CPE Router is powered up.  Further this is NOT a corner case.
>> Moreover, all IPv4 home router customers are used to one stable private IPv4
>> address to access their say, Linksys router, no matter when and what global
>> IPv4 address gets assigned to the WAN interface.
>
> I think this describes the confusion here. You are looking for a default IP
> address for the device so that users can connect to it for configuring it?
> In IPv4 there is usually a default RFC 1918 address that will do just this
> function in order to enable configuration. So would it meet your needs if we
> used something like ::192:168:0:1 for the default address if it is used via
> the Ethernet or wireless (802.11x) port?

Eric,

You are right in the analysis of the confusion. However, I think we should
move away from such things as well know IP addresses and use some form of
service discovery protocol instead.

  - Alain.