Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

I might add a view on this too:

- Having a global prefix on the WAN interface means a customer is represented by exactly two different IPv6 prefixes (in addition to their /32 in IPv4) from disparate address space. I am mindful ISP routers must perform accounting, rate-limiting/QoS, anti-spoofing and ACL on all these addresses. An extra prefix per subscriber is going to consume additional resources at a time we are already trying to support two prefixes (an IPv4 and IPv6 prefix).

- Increased complexity in the ISP router for IP sessions. For example, a DHCPv6-PD uses a rebind message to reconfirm the prefix (state machine 1) whereas an IA_NA of the WAN interface uses a Confirm message (state machine 2). Two different messages, two different state machines, and more places things could go wrong.

- It requires the DR/BNG/CMTS to advertise the WAN shared prefix in its RA for on-link determination. As RA go to all subscribers (in a common VLAN) you have a P2P consideration where subscribers will initiate ND (on multipoint interfaces) for one-another on their WAN interface. The router must now perform ND proxy for the shared prefix.

- An advantage of the unnumbered model is that we may not need to configure the ISP router with any link information in advance. With a numbered model one would normally have to create an IP interface on the ISP router and configure RA PIO for the WAN prefix.

The disadvantages I see are:
- Operational troubleshooting. If the WAN interface did respond to ICMP echo requests you can test the subscriber state from any Internet host. - Traceroutes. If the WAN interface was link-local, a traceroute would indicate the loopback or LAN interface on the CPE as opposed to the WAN interface. - If a loopback interface is used, one may need to devote an entire / 64 to it - the alternative is to use an always-up LAN interface (ie bridge0 interface).

-David