Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Alain Durand wrote:

Thank you for the clarification, I now understand better your goal, but what is the rationale for doing that?

I stated this in the beginning of the discussion, but here goes again:

I want to protect ISP equipment from outsid/Internet DDOS attacks. I foresee proliferation of basement/FTTC L3 switches (ASIC forwarding, small TCAM, small CPU) with ethernet/vdsl2 PHYs, and I want to be able to rate-limit traffic coming in from the internet to these devices (also my core).

Therefore ISP equipment needs to be in separate IP space from customer equipment IP space. This also applies to SOHO market.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se