Re: Review of RA Guard, draft-vandevelde-v6ops-ra-guard-01

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the comments.

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Christian Vogt wrote:

Gunter, Eric, Ciprian, Janos,

I read your RA Guard proposal, and I believe this will be a very
useful feature.  Especially the simple operational mode, in which
Router Advertisement messages are allowed only on manually
pre-configured ports, would provide a good level of security at low
cost.  Two comments, nevertheless:

(1)  The RA Guard currently has two separate state machines, one for
    the RA Guard device itself, and one on the per-interface level.  I
    do not see a convincing need for having two state machines instead
    of one.  It seems that you want the RA Guard to operate on a
    per-interface basis, and that it needs "Off", "Learning", and
    "Validating" modes.  Wouldn't one state machine per interface be
    sufficient?  Why do you need the RA-Guard-level state machine in
    addition.

    (Of course, having only the interface-level state machines
    wouldn't prevent an implementation from providing a user
    interface that lets the administrator toggle the mode
    simultaneously for all interfaces on the RA Guard device.  This
    would allow the administrator to switch all interfaces to
    Learning mode, e.g., with a single mouse click.)

I think also that interface level state machine is enough + a global configuration options. We will clarify the text on the state machine.
We will also discuss among the co-authors.

(2)  And one editorial comment:  In section 3.2., "RA-Guard state:
    LEARNING", you say:

    "A device or interface in the RA-Guard "Learning" state is
    actively acquiring information about the devices connected to its
    interfaces. The learning process takes place over a pre-defined
    period of time by capturing router advertisments or it can be
    event triggered. The information gathered is compared against
    pre-defined criteria which qualify the validity of the RAs."

    Can you elaborate on what "pre-defined criteria" means in the
    last sentence?

This might be some information configured in the switch also - valid mac addresses of the routers (e.g. multiple mac address in case of HA setup), or valid prefixes or valid lifetime or prefered lifetime. I think it is purely optional. I think it should not contain similar configuration parameters as routers have since maintaining consistency is would be difficult. We will clarify on this one also.

Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882