Re: {Spam?} [Fwd: [BEHAVE] ICE and v4v6NATs]

marcelo bagnulo wrote :
> In the v6ops WG we are defining the requirements for next generation
> v4 <-> v6 NATs.

In my understanding, NAT64 has been found necessary  for  IPv4 transport connections via IPv6 (the "v4v6v4" case).
As I explained during the v6ops meeting in Philadelphia, there exists  a simpler alternative for v4v6v4.
With it,  the only NAT function is NAT44  (neither NAT64 nor NAT46 are needed).
The NAT44 of router-CPEs only needs  to be associated with some "address and Port borrowing protocol (APBP)" similar to that proposed in SHANTI (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt).

One issue that it is not clear to use (among many),
> is what level of ICE support shoudl be required, or what type of
> interaction between these boxes and ICE should be required.

> any comments on this would be really helpful

With this approach, everithing which works with NAT44, ICE in particular, works the same way with NAT44 + APBP.
Also,  ISP provided functions are more scalable.

I work on an I-D describing it.  It should be available soon.

Regards

Rémi