Re: 6to4 public anycast relay considered a bad think (was Re: 6to4 connectivity test)

On 2/02/2008, at 12:52 PM, Alain Durand wrote:

On 2/1/08 4:55 PM, "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen@unfix.org> wrote:

Instead of trying to "fix" 6to4, which also has this rather annoying
issue called NAT which it can't 1,2,3 bypass, why not simply push Teredo
forward which has all these points resolved already?

The Teredo model, actually from our observation with available code from its
major source, is that both end need to have it configured to enable a
reliable connection.

We tried with an open Teredo relay, and packets went sometimes to Korea,
sometimes nowhere.

In other words, this is fine to get IPv6 working between 2 PCs in different homes separated by NAT boxes, but this is not usable to access a regular IPv6 server on the Internet **UNLESS** that server also deploys Teredo...

So, going that route, if an IPv6 server wants to offer reliable service to
customers, it might have to be configured with:
- a regular global IPv6 address to serve regular IPv6 native customers
- a 6to4 address to serve 6to4 customers and avoid open relays
- a Teredo address to serve PC behind NAT box that uses Teredo

IMHO, this makes the deployment model of new servers a bit complex...

I'm unclear as to why a server would need three different addresses, as opposed to one address, and two relays. Rather, I'm unclear as to why that would be an improvement.

Deploying relays and a single address looks like:
- 6to4 paths:
-- client -> server - could be bad
-- server -> client - goes through our relay, and over v4 for the long portion of the path
- Teredo paths:
-- client -> server - goes through our relay, and over v4 for the long portion of the path -- server -> client - goes through our relay, and over v4 for the long portion of the path

We can improve that by encouraging ISPs to deploy 6to4 relays today even (especially!) if they don't want to do a full v6 roll out to end users.

Like or or not, anyone doing v6 today should be deploying Teredo and 6to4 relays, if they desire their paths to perform well to/from 6to4 and Teredo end users. There are /lots and lots/ of them. My data would even suggest that there are more 6to4 and Teredo users than there are native v6 users, by several orders of magnitude.

--
Nathan Ward

--
Nathan Ward