Re: [Fwd: Re: About IPv6 private address]

On Feb 5, 2008, at 15:06, bill fumerola wrote:

$ host lurgee.local
Host lurgee.local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

This could be regarded as a bug, but it's a tricky case. The /usr/ bin/host command isn't using the system name resolver. It's distributed with BIND, so it's basically doing the same thing that / usr/bin/dig is doing. It makes DNS queries only. Multicast DNS is derived from DNS, but it's not strictly the same as DNS, so /usr/bin/ host doesn't know anything about it.

$ ping -qc 1 lurgee.local 2>&1 | tail +4
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.270/0.270/0.270/0.000 ms
$ uname - a ~ Darwin worrywort.local 8.11.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.1: Wed Oct 10 18:23:28 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.25.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

At least, the .local domain has a long and ignoble history of not being usable as a global TLD in the DNS protocol. Apple was already doing something weird and non-standard with it back in the Mac OS 9 days, when the DNS protocol was young and dinosaurs yet roamed the Internet, so it's not like they polluted an otherwise pure water table by repurposing it for Multicast DNS.

Still, IETF does have a problem. There are *two* Multicast DNS protocols. There is RFC 4795 (informational) for Link-Local Multicast Name Resolution, which is implemented in Microsoft products but not much else. And there is <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft- cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns>, the Multicast DNS protocol in Bonjour, which enjoys widespread industry adoption, in multiple implementations, currently shipping in a myriad of commercial products, but has been languishing as an under-loved individual submission to the DNSEXT working group since before the Great Cataclysm.

It would be very nice to have an RFC to which we could point questioners like the originator of this thread and say to them, "Upon this rock we have built our church." Sadly, we can't. I don't know what to do about that. Absent an RFC, I think the best we can do is to tell such questioners, "Good luck. Write if you get work."

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering