Re: [Fwd: Re: About IPv6 private address]

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:35:41AM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:
> You just know someone on a Windows system is going to publish an URL
> at some point that people not on Windows systems are going to follow,
> and hilarity is going to result.

beyond "not on a windows system". for those who "have to" use it because
of a scoped LLADDR, what happens when someone outside the broadcast
domain uses it?

i agree that this idea is poorly thought out, non-standard, inconsistant,
etc. it's not entirely unoriginal.

$ host lurgee.local
Host lurgee.local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
$ ping -qc 1 lurgee.local 2>&1 | tail +4
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.270/0.270/0.270/0.000 ms
$ uname -a                                                                 ~
Darwin worrywort.local 8.11.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.1: Wed Oct 10 18:23:28 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.25.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

what is worse than .local and similar is that as DRC points out .net is
an actual TLD whose authority is being oh-so-subtly being railroaded by
microsoft. that they registered the domain is nice, but it just adds to
the confusion of what exactly happens when this domain is used. do all
apps support it? just some using a particular API?

yet another ugly hack we now all have to know about and deal with.

-- bill